Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Acorn Painting

I have another project to share with you and this one did not disappoint! We have a huge oak tree right next door to our center and we are always finding acorns on our playground. So yesterday I had the kids collect some. It had been raining for a few days and I wanted them to dry out overnight. I took the shell off of some of them.
These aren't your typical acorns, with the cute little caps, but they still worked. (I think they are from a Bur Oak tree, but I'm still doing some research to figure it out.) I plunked 2 in each cup of paint and added a spoon for scooping.
I told the kids our project would be just like marble painting, except we'd use acorns. I was shocked to find out that none of them have ever marble painted before! The horror! <smile> So I told them what to do, step by step. Luckily, it's pretty easy and they caught on very quickly. First you put your paper in a box (I used old puzzle boxes that we no longer use) and scoop out an acorn from one of the cups. Then you plop it on your paper and tilt the box in all kinds of directions.
When you are low on paint, just put it back in the cup and do it again. You can add more and more colors, too.
Here is a look at our finished masterpieces:
Gorgeous! I love the speckled look. I think I will matte these on colored paper and hang them up. I love them!

Here's an acorn song for you. The <cluck> refers to that noise you make when you drop your tongue from the roof of your mouth to the bottom of your mouth. Know what I mean?

I'm a little acorn round,
Lying on the cold, cold ground.
Everybody steps on me,
That is why I'm cracked, you see.
I'm a nut. <cluck, cluck>
I'm a nut. <cluck, cluck>
I'm a nut, I'm a nut, I'm a nut. <cluck, cluck>

**Linking up to Show-and-Share Saturday and The Sunday Showcase!**

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Those turned out cute! Wish we had an acorn tree around here....

Carrie said...

So cute. We tried just dipping the acorns in paint, but the only success we really had was circles from the bottom of the tops. We will definitely have to give this a try.

Betsy said...

Ooh, circles from the caps sounds cute, too! I'll have to try that if I ever find those kinds of acorns.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

FUN! I wish I had acorns nearby - care to send a few my way! :)

Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase & hope to see you again this week!

Bern
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Carrie said...

We tried something similar today and I posted pictures. http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2011/10/nature-art-and-activities.html Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Just use any round-ish small acorn or marble type object. If u use washable paint u can even use things u still use then just wash them off. Beans beads marbles stones etc. Don't cook beans after using for this..