Thursday, November 17, 2011

Turkey Display

I saw this adorable bulletin board here and just had to copy it. Each child disguised a turkey by putting it in a costume. First, I had them color a turkey,
then I asked them what costume they wanted. I drew the basic stuff, nothing major. This was for a princess:
This was for a mermaid:
And this was for a witch:
Then the kids colored the costumes using crayons.
I cut everything out (and cut off the turkey feathers for a better fit) and they glued the costume to their turkey.
Then I had a few of the kids make signs telling people to eat something else.
I displayed them in the hall with the title, "No turkeys here!"

Maybe it's the vegetarian in me, but I just love this! Our other costumes were an octopus, a spider, a lion, Batman, a turtle, a ghost, and a cheetah. I think it would have been fun to send the turkeys home and have the kids make disguises with their parents and then bring them back to school, but there's always one or two families that don't seem to do "homework" and I didn't want anyone left out. I only had ten costumes to make, so it wasn't so bad.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, you need to find the book Turkey Trouble by Wendi Silvano. It is about a turkey who tries to dress up like all the other animals on the farm so he won't be the main course for Thanksgiving. It is really cute and has a happy ending.

Betsy said...

Ooh, I'll have to check that out! Thanks, Carrie!

Unknown said...

You always have the best bulletin boards! It really did turn out fantastic!

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! Can't wait to see all your Christmas crafts! :)

Betsy said...

Thanks, Rachel. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!